Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Trailer Tuesday: In The Shadow of Blackbirds by Cat Winters

In the Shadow of Blackbirds by Cat Winters



From the publisher: In 1918, the world seems on the verge of apocalypse. Americans roam the streets in gauze masks to ward off the deadly Spanish influenza, and the government ships young men to the front lines of a brutal war, creating an atmosphere of fear and confusion. Sixteen-year-old Mary Shelley Black watches as desperate mourners flock to séances and spirit photographers for comfort, but she herself has never believed in ghosts. During her bleakest moment, however, she’s forced to rethink her entire way of looking at life and death, for her first love—a boy who died in battle—returns in spirit form. But what does he want from her?

Featuring haunting archival early-twentieth-century photographs, this is a tense, romantic story set in a past that is eerily like our own time.

LibrariYAn Says: This sounds creepily good.  A little historical fiction + a little paranormal = me likey.  I'm envisioning kind of the same mood as Libba Bray's Diviners, though that remains to be seen.  I'm especially intrigued by the part about there being "haunting archival early-twentieth-century photographs."  What can I say?  I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff (see: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children). Thanks to BFYA, I have a copy of this one waiting for me to dive in.  Perhaps this evening!



P.S. I disappeared for a week and a half, but I'm back. Sorry for the lack of head's up. It was spring break and I just couldn't bring myself to do much other than watch Downton Abbey and read.  And go to Austin, which was amazing.  Now it's back to the grind...

The LibrariYAn is an Amazon Associate. If you click from links on this blog to Amazon and buy something (anything!), I receive a small percentage of the purchase price.

1 comment:

  1. Have you read Safekeeping by Karen Hesse? It's the same words/photos idea (although its topic is survival in a future, dystopian North America, not historical fiction). If you haven't and you'd like to, it's an ARC *I* can send to *you* (you send so much to me, and I never have anything good to send to you!)

    ReplyDelete