Sunday, December 28, 2008

Something New: Review in Two: Headlong

Just a short three posts ago, before setting aside the computer for a few days to celebrate Christmas, I plotted out my reading list, in which I planned to dedicate my free time to the likely contenders for the Printz award. In my mad dash to checkout books as I left the library for a two-week hiatus, however, I decided that it might do me some good to read Kath Koja's Headlong, the book that inspired the New Yorker Article that offended me so dearly in its characterization of YA. It was not on my "to-read" list, but I felt it deserved a read nonetheless. Also, quite frankly, I was beginning to OD on the science fiction and fantasy that fills the list.

Noticing that all blogs worth anything seem to have recurring features, I thought it might be a good idea to start something like that on this blog, the benefit coming to me in the form of having something to fall back on when I lack creative inspiration/material and to you in the form of something to look forward to with semi-regularity.

And so, I bring to you Review in Two. The premise is simple: a two sentence book review in which the first sentence is typically dedicated to a plot summary and the second sentence to evaluation and assessment of the work. It's a first attempt, so judge not, lest ye be judged, and look forward to more/better in the future.

Headlong by Kathe Koja
Lily searches for something more to life at her elite high school, boarding for the first time and befriending the non-conformist new girl. Uniquely complex dialogue and narrative structure and mature content make this a choice for the uniquely complex and searching high schooler.

1 comment:

  1. I decided to read up on your previous posts and I am quite glad that I did! I still find the need to tweak the so-called features that I have on my blog, which stemmed from the time Liz and Betsy came to Materials for Children and basically told me that I should have features. I'm bad at them. See also: when was the last time I had a Pottertastic Tidbit or Throwback Review? Exactly.

    I wish you better luck with your features, especially since this idea is AWESOME! So many reviews are lengthy and need to be trimmed in half, if not more. Mine included. It's refreshing to see something so succinct.

    ReplyDelete