Thursday, August 6, 2009

Finding New Homes for Old ARCs

The Parade of Awesome is winding down, and I'm utterly exhausted. It's been a crazy busy summer, and I never even saw the Harry Potter exhibit or movie. In the last week I've travelled back from my two-month stint in Chicago, lazed around on the beach for a few days, and sadly, become computerless. Next week, I move to Virginia, but also head off for a week at the beach before getting down to brass tacks and starting my new job. Talk about a time of transition.

As I pack of my life, I keep coming across more and more ARCs that I've already read and am not sure what I should with them. There are a few that are still-to-be-released that I figure I'll share with my new middle schoolers (Collins' Catching Fire, Dashner's Maze Runner, Chadda's The Devil's Kiss, Brown's Hate List), but there are a few more that are either too mature for middle schoolers (Larbalestier's Liar and Cashore's Fire), already published (Carey's Unknowns, Wolfson's Cold Hands, Warm Heart, Friedman's The Importance of Wings, Gill's Soul Enchilada, Grant's Gone), or both (Kaye's Demon Chick, Wizner's Castration Celebration, Noel's Evermore)...and I have no idea what to do with them.

I'm not packing them up and hauling them to Virginia. I thought about raffling them off on the blog, but I move on Monday, and I think it would be a logistical nightmare to ship them off to individuals. Chucking them just seems like such a waste.

Anyone want to take these off my hands or have a great idea about what I should do with them?

11 comments:

  1. Hey Alicia,

    I'll take Liar off your hands. Also, any other random ones you feel fit to put in the box that no one else wants works by me as well. We give out ARCs (whether the book is published already or not) as teen summer reading prizes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I donate mine to the public library and they use them for prizes for the summer reading program. Even if they've already been released, they still work there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, if you feel like parting with Catching Fire, I'm all about it! Otherwise, I'd donate to the library, or Kristi(e), since she's interested. :) That sounds like a good place for them, as summer reading prizes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of giving them away as summer reading prizes, but I already know my public library doesn't want/need them b/c I worked there until a few months ago, and it's just not something they do! Other ideas? Kristie - You can have my Liar ARC if you can arrange pickup!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This will sound like heresy, but ARCs are really rough drafts. After the final book comes out, they're like prom dates from high school--cool while they were happening but probably best forgotten. Or recycled.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ARCs are definitely rough drafts, but I don't think that makes them bad or "best forgotten." It's a near-final copy, and I hate throwing things away when they're in perfectly good condition and I know someone would happily read it. The real heretic is me: the librarian who refuses to own books (I mean, isn't that why we have libraries?).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll take any off your hands that you don't want <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel similarly about all the SCILS mugs, pens, etc that I've found in my parents' house (one accumulates a lot of such things in 25 years). I'm happy to throw them out but I also feel like I might be missing the chance to have a contest with some unique prizes. (On the other hand, mugs are even harder to mail than ARCs...)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd be happy to take Liar and Fire! Or you can give them to a high school librarian. If he/she has a teen book club they might enjoy the free titles.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you haven't already given them away, I'd be happy to pay postage if you want to send them all in a big box!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Update: I wound up taking everything with me, and will be sharing all middle school appropriate ARCs with my students and passing the rest on to the upper school.

    ReplyDelete