Friday, November 20, 2009

Twilight Zone: Mooning over New Moon

At this moment, across the country, millions of screaming theatre-goers are watching the opening credits of New Moon. And yes, most of them are female. But a lot of them are male. John Green knows what I'm talking about.

In anticipation of today's release, the Washington Post ran a piece about the shameful female obsession with Twilight. No news there, the Twilight obsession is growing more fast and furious every day. And as a librarian and reader of Twilight, I have no shame in saying that I have taken it upon myself to spread this obsession to my students*, friends and colleagues.

Whenever someone asks about Twilight, I tell them the truth: "It's not quality literature, but it's a good story. You'll get sucked in." They shake their heads, laugh disbelieving and go merrily on their way thinking "Yeah, right." Then they come back two days later, begging for the next book and confessing how they ignored their partner, children and other responsibilities because they were so absorbed in the story. Told you so.

My favorite quote from the article:

"Twilight" came for the tweens, then for the moms of tweens, then for the co-workers who started wearing those ridiculous Team Jacob shirts, and the resisters said nothing, because they thought "Twilight" could not come for them. They were too literary. They didn't do vampires. They were feminists.

So if you haven't already, go ahead. Buy the first one. While you're at it, better get the rest, or you'll be kicking yourself that you have to wait for their arrival.

Don't make me say "I told you so!"


* They didn't really need much help.

The LibrariYAn is an Amazon Associate. If you click from here to Amazon and buy something (anything!), I receive a small percentage of the purchase price.

No comments:

Post a Comment