Sunday, October 10, 2010

It Gets Better

I've been wanting to post about the recent suicides of young LGBT men and women, but I wasn't sure what I had to add to the conversation.  Then I realized I didn't have to have something unique to say, as long as I said something to vocalize my disgust at the bullying that goes on in our schools and communities and add my voice to the chorus reminding young LGBT men and women that It Gets Better.  It really, really does. I promise.

You are not alone.  There thousands (millions?) of young people who feel just like you do.  The people who make you feel like "less than" do so out of fear, ignorance and their own insecurities.  Yes, even the popular kids and the jocks - especially the popular kids and the jocks - are insecure.  Adolescence and young adulthood are a doozy of a time.  But you don't have to take my word for it.  You can hear it from Sassy Gay Friend (who loves YA lit!):



or Dan Savage, or Glee's Chris Colfer, or Ellen DeGeneres or Neil Patrick Harris, or any number of celebrities and regular folk who are making videos to show their support.

Oh, and today is National Coming Out Day.  If you're already out, then mad props for facing fear and intolerance in the face and demanding to be accepted for who you are.  If you're not out yet, think about telling someone you can trust, and do it - either today, or when you're ready.

The LibrariYAn is an Amazon Associate. If you click from links on this blog to Amazon and buy something (anything!), I receive a small percentage of the purchase price.

No comments:

Post a Comment