Tuesday, February 12, 2013

YALSA List-O-Mania! Quick Picks, Popular Paperbacks and Fabulous Films

More lists! Yesterday I gave the quick and dirty on Best Fiction and Great Graphic Novels.  Today, it's Quick Picks, Popular Paperbacks and Fabulous Films.  If you didn't already have a massive TBR/W* pile, you just might after today's lists.

Quick Picks for Reluctant Readers
I love that this list exists. The nonfiction titles are my go-to for filling the display on the circulation desk.  A lot of the fiction QPs tend to be lower reading level + high action, but that's definitely not true for all selections.  Sometimes the subject matter (Jeffrey Dahmer!) is so enthralling it'll grab the most reluctant of readers.  Here's the Top Ten... 

  • Backderf, Derf.  My Friend Dahmer.  Illus., Abrams/Abrams ComicArts, 2012, 978-1419702167, $24.95.
  • Henry, April.  The Night She Disappeared. Henry Holt Books for Young Readers /Christy Ottaviano Books, 2012, 978-0805092622, $16.99.
  • Lyga, BarryI Hunt Killers. Little, Brown Books for Young Readers, 2012, 978-0316125840, $17.99.
  • Lynch, Chris.  Vietnam. Series
    • Vietnam #1: I Pledge Allegiance Scholastic Press, 2011, 978-0545270298, $16.99.
    • Vietnam #2: Sharpshooter Scholastic Press, 2012, 978-0545270267, $16.99.
    • Vietnam #3: Free-Fire Zone Scholastic Press, 2012, 978-0545270250, $16.99.
  • McNeil, Gretchen.  Ten. Balzer + Bray,  2012, 978-0062118783, $17.99.
  • Rodriguez, Gaby; Glatzer, JennaThe Pregnancy Project: A Memoir. Simon & Schuster Inc./Simon & Schuster BFYR,  2012, 978-1442446229, $17.99.
  • Ross, Richard.  Juvenile in Justice. Illus., Richard Ross, 2012, 978-0985510602, $29.95.
  • Summers, CourtneyThis is Not a Test. Macmillan/St. Martin’s Griffin, 2012, 978-0312656744, $9.99.
  • Tillit, L.B.  Unchained. Saddleback Publishing/Gravel Road, 2012, 978-1616517922, $9.95..
  • Woodson, Jacqueline. Beneath a Meth Moon: An Elegy. Penguin Group (USA) Inc./Nancy Paulsen Books2012, 978-0399252501, $16.99.
Popular Paperbacks for Young Adults
This one I love for when I'm looking to create themed displays and/or appeal to readers with very specific wants.  They've also helped me create lists of books for retold fairytales, novels in verse and a bunch of other quirky topics. Invaluable.  This year's themes were: Boarding Schools to Summer Camps: leaving home to find yourself; Gowns, Greasepaint and Guitars: not the same old song and dance; I'm New Here Myself: a generation caught between nations; and More Books That Won't Make You Blush: all the excitement, none of the naughty.  And here's the Top Ten!\
  • Eulberg, Elizabeth Prom and Prejudice.  Point.  2012.
  • Johnson, Maureen Name of the Star.  Speak.  2012.
  • Lockhart, E. The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks.  Hyperion.  2009.
  • Skovron, Jon Struts and Frets.  Amulet.  2011. 
  • Telgemeier, Raina Drama.  Illus. Raina Telgemeier. Scholastic/ GRAPHIX.  2012.
  • Gallo, Donald (ed).  First Crossing:  Stories about teen immigrants.  Candlewick.  2007.
  • Hauser, Brooke The New Kids: big dreams and brave journeys at a high school for immigrant teens.  Free Press.  2012.
  • Carter, Ally. Heist Society.  Hyperion Books CH.  2011. 
  • Van Draanen, Wendelin The Running Dream.  Ember.
  • Wright, Bil. Putting Makeup on the Fat Boy.  Simon and Schuster Books for Young Readers. 2012.
Fabulous Films for Young Adults
I don't tend to buy movies for my collection, unless they are related to the curriculum and are rated G or PG.  That knocks out most everything that would appear on this list. Sad face.  Every once in a while though, something school-friendly pops up on this list  There are a few on this list that I'll have to check out.  And one I must warn readers about...

Animal lovers should NOT! I repeat, NOT! as in, under ANY CIRCUMSTANCE! watch the film Eight Below.  My sister and I watched it one day years ago when I was back at my parents' house between Christmas and New Years. It was billed as the rescue story of eight huskies stranded in Antarctica.  We bawled throughout the entire movie and in-between sobs yelled profanities at all of the incompetent people (I'm looking at you, Paul Walker's character!) who were supposed to care for and save the dogs, and instead forced them to starve and fight for their lives.  Idiots.  I hated this film.  I will never watch it again.  Except for the end.  That's the best.

And there you have it!  YALSA's lists! I hope you enjoyed hearing about them and found one or two things to put on your TBR pile.

What's that you say?  I haven't mentioned Amazing Audiobooks?  My apologies.  I'm not an audiobook person (my commute is 5 minutes and I heart NPR), so I don't really have anything to say about it. Sorry.

*The "W" is for watch, as in, "These films are on my to be watched list." 

The LibrariYAn is an Amazon Associate. If you click from links on this blog to Amazon and buy something (anything!), I receive a small percentage of the purchase price.

No comments:

Post a Comment