Thursday, January 1, 2009

Cybils Finalists



With all the blathering on I do about the Printz Award, one might think it was the only award recognizing quality YA literature. But of course it is not, and among the other awards out there are the Cybils, the children's and young adult bloggers literary awards (and what kind of a blogger would I be if I didn't talk up these awards?). Cybils are awarded for a variety of categories spanning reading levels, formats and genres, a full list of which appears on the site. And their finalists were announced this morning, generating a few new titles to add to my to-read list!

So why the Cybil when there already exist so many other awards? As explained on their website FAQ, "We wanted a literary competition that combined the freewheeling democracy of the Internet with the thoughtfulness of a book club. Cybils lets the public nominate books here on our Cybils blog, but then bloggers team up to pick the finalists and winners. The winning books must combine quality and 'kid appeal.'" In addition to identifying works that boast literary merit and kid appeal, it also fosters a sense of community among bloggers, and draws attention to great blog and bloggers.

Anyhoot, the categories of greatest interest to me are:

Fantasy and Science Fiction (broken into Elementary/Middle Grade and Young Adult)
Graphic Novels (broken down similarly)
Non-Fiction (same breakdown as above, finalists currently pending)
Young Adult Fiction

My favorites at this stage in the game are Suzanne Collin's The Hunger Games for YA Fantasy and Science Fiction and The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart for Young Adult Fiction. Of course, I haven't actually read any of the other finalists, so I guess I should probably get on that pronto before the winners are selected. I'm not much of a romantic (or too big into commercialized holidays), but I'm definitely excited for Valentine's Day when we get to see who the winners are.

No comments:

Post a Comment