Monday, August 24, 2009

What's in Your Top Ten?

Adults (librarians, book sellers, reviewers, other professionals) have signaled their favorite YA books all year long through various awards and whatnot. Isn't it about time that teens had their say? Voting for YALSA's 2009 Teens' Top Ten is now open!

To vote for your favorites from the list of 25 nominated titles, complete this survey. Voting is open to all teens from today (Monday, August 24th) through Friday, September 18th. Winners will be announced during Teen Read Week, October 18-24th. If you're a teen, vote! If you know teen readers, encourage them to vote!

Since I'm not a teen, I'm not eligible to vote, but if I could choose my three favorites from the nominees, I think I'd go with The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, Graceling by Kristin Cashore and Impossible by Nancy Werlin. Funny thing is, I always thought of myself as more of a realistic fiction kind of girl (Frankie, I still love you!), but my votes are all for fantasy and science fiction. Weird, huh?

4 comments:

  1. No Curse Dark as Gold? That, and Impossible, were the two I was walking around with as anti-readalikes for Breaking Dawn: fabulous female characters who manage to have a man in their lives and still have, you know, their lives. ;)

    Graceling is pretty pure fantasy, but Impossible and Hunger Games are more borderline, urban fantasy, sort-of realism stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since I haven't read many of the others (& I'm not voting for Breaking Dawn =P), I voted for Graceling and Impossible for you. Hunger Games was out of my own accord. =]

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never got around to reading Curse as Dark as Gold (I know, I should!). I wasn't sure how to classify Impossible. It kind of falls into the same category as Twilight and Shiver - fantasy set in reality. Magical realism?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Magical realism and urban fantasy are, as far as I can tell, two terms for the same thing, with the first one being more literary and high-brow-ish. If it has fairies/faeries/fey/etc but is otherwise set in the real world, it's...one of those. So Curse Dark as Gold is magical historical realism? Pre-urban fantasy? ;)

    ReplyDelete