Saturday, October 31, 2009

Have a Spooktacular Halloween!

Boo!

Scared you, didn't I?

No? Well, then perhaps these tales of terror will do the trick.






When I was growing up, anytime there was a dark and stormy day, my friend Tania and I would turn off all the lights, put on a tape (yes, a cassette tape) of scary organ music and take turns reading the stories from these books by the light of a flashlight. We would then proceed to freak out and have nightmares.

Now, as a middle school librarian, I'm sharing the joys of scary stories with my students. For Halloween, I put out a display of 10-15 scary story books. Only one of them is never on the display - Alvin Schwartz's Scary Stories Treasury, which compiles the three books. At lunchtime, students like to grab the book, plop down on the couches and read the stories to one another - even on warm sunny days.

Another title that I read as an adult and managed to scare me silly was Joseph Bruchac's Skeleton Man. Creepster!

So, whatever you do to celebrate today - trick-or-treating, dressing up, staying home and watching scary movies or reading scary stories, or nothing at all, Have a Happy Halloween!

The LibrariYAn is an Amazon Associate. If you click from here to Amazon and buy something (anything!), I receive a small percentage of the purchase price.

No comments:

Post a Comment