Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Twilight Zone: New Moon Recap and Team Bella?

First off, if you haven't spent the $10.75 that I did to go and see New Moon in theaters (or if you have and are looking for a good laugh) check out New Moon in Fifteen Minutes*.

Second, there's been a bunch of talk lately about the lack of character development in Bella and also how her relationship with Edward is abusive. One blogger even analyzed Bella and Edward's relationship according to the National Domestic Violence Hotline's "signs you are in an abusive relationship" and came up with 15 signs that point to abuse. In response, someone (and of course I can't remember who at this point) questioned why it's always "Team Edward" or "Team Jacob" and why there doesn't seem to be anyone on "Team Bella." And I think that's because even Stephenie Meyer doesn't want you to be on her team. She wrote a purposefully vague character as a means for her readers to see themselves in Bella and get drawn into the story.

And I guess it worked.

* Thanks to Bookshelves of Doom for the link.

1 comment:

  1. My husband keeps saying that Bella is Stephenie Meyer. She made a character that she wished she could be and made her so bland that any girl could imagine herself in that same place. I find it annoying and I like my characters to have more depth.

    ReplyDelete