Thursday, March 10, 2011

Open the Gates and Seize the Day!

(c) Disney
Don't be afraid and don't delay! Newsies (my most favorite musical which I own on VHS and watched waaay too many times and which I also own the soundtrack to and have the entire thing memorized) will be coming to the stage.  According to a NYTimes article that I missed (and only stumbled upon because I decided to Google "Newsies musical" for no reason in particular), Paper Mill Playhouse in Millburn, NJ will be bringing it to the stage this coming September.  Just yesterday, Disney released additional details.

Back in high school I was the annoying girl who said things like "Specs was on Nickelodeon's Roundhouse," memorized all the songs and dances and plotted for us to do it as our musical, except I couldn't figure out a way around the lack of female roles. I personally wanted to be the mom who is looking for her son in the soup line ("Patrick...darling...since you left me, I am undone...Mother...loves you...God save my son!").  I'd heard rumors that it might head to Broadway, but nothing ever panned out.

Tickets go on sale this summer, and you can bet your butt I will be among the first to buy.

The LibrariYAn is an Amazon Associate. If you click from links on this blog to Amazon and buy something (anything!), I receive a small percentage of the purchase price.

2 comments:

  1. OMG, in 8th grade I killed the spare time during our standardized testing by writing out all the lines and lyrics from memory. And I TOTALLY would want the part of that mom! This makes me jump up and down with glee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously. I think I can still sing you all the words. My friends and I would fight over who got to sing what part when we watched it at slumber-parties. Love it love it love it!

    ReplyDelete