With high school graduation out of the way, the only thing standing between Colby and Bev's European adventures is their week-long tour with Bev's grrl band, the Disenchantments. Then, just hours into their drive to the first show, Bev drops a bomb: she's not going. She's starting college in the fall. Crestfallen and betrayed, Colby doesn't understand what happened. They'd been planning this trip since 8th grade. They're best friends. And because of the trip, he didn't even bother applying for college, and now has no idea what to do. But the show must go on! The tour dates are booked. Colby's uncle's van is their transportation. And it's not like he has anything else to do. And so the adventure begins...
What I LOVED:
- Richly drawn characters that you "know" and love...and hate...and love
- Sexual tension between a guy and a girl who are "just best friends"
- ROAD TRIP! In the Pacific Northwest!
- the music: Sleator-Kinney, The Supremes, Heart, The Runaways
- riot grrls
- the quirkiness secondary characters (and sisters) Alexa (her notebook! the magic 8 ball!) and Meg (the question game! her wisdom!)
- the weird, wonderful and memorable people they meet along the way
Highly recommended for: high schoolers heading out into the world (even if it'll be a few years), riot grrls, wannabe riot grrls, those who wish to wander and anyone in a reading rut.
The LibrariYAn is an Amazon Associate. If you click from links on this blog to Amazon and buy something (anything!), I receive a small percentage of the purchase price.