Thursday, January 10, 2013

Booktrend Alert: eBook Novellas

I feel like every time I turn around lately, another popular author is releasing an eBook novella sequel or companion to their best-selling novel and/or series.  The trend was first brought to my attention in September 2011 by a student who, while anxiously awaiting the release of Beautiful Chaos (the third book in the Beautiful Creatures series) came to me insisting that there was another book in the series that our library didn't have.  After a few minutes of frantic searching online (you do NOT want to be on the bad side of a 12-year-old supernatural romance fan!) I came upon Dream Dark.  Lucky for me (and her), our library has 10 Nooks that are available for student checkout.  I purchased the title, checked out the Nook and sent her home happy...until the next day when she was finished and back to hounding me about how far away October was.

Since then, I feel like it's become the "it" thing to do for author's to release a mid-series or follow-up ebook novella.  Here are just a few that I know about:

Six Earlier Days by David Levithan (companion to Every Day)


Life Before Legend: Stories of the Criminal and the Prodigy by Marie Lu (prequel to Legend)


Annabel and Hana by Lauren Oliver (companions to Delirium )
  

And I'm sure there are more!  I imagine these are gold mines for the publishers and booksellers, as there's no physical book to print and ship and also nice for the author in that it gives them a space to actually write the stories of secondary characters and/or other scenes that I'm sure they've had scripted in their minds forever and also a nice little paycheck in-between novels.  Win-win!

The LibrariYAn is an Amazon Associate. If you click from links on this blog to Amazon and buy something (anything!), I receive a small percentage of the purchase price.

No comments:

Post a Comment