Tuesday, January 29, 2013

SLJ Battle of the Kids' Books: Brackets Revealed

This morning the brackets for the SLJ Battle of the Kids' Books were revealed.  And something tells me that yesterday's Youth Media Awards announcements figured into these match-ups.

In some cases, titles that really brought home the bacon (ahem, Bomb) are paired with those that fell short of honors (ahem, Wonder).  In others, its widely applauded books (Temple Grandin and Fault in Our Stars) that didn't get the awards love that are matched up.  And then there are the books that received honors/awards that are now facing off (Seraphina vs. Moonbird).

Of course, maybe I'm just reading into things and the real reason some match-ups were created is more for comedic value and the opportunity for witty commentary.  Examples:

  • Seraphina vs. Moonbird  = mighty dragons vs. tiny, yet powerful birds
  • Starry River of the Sky vs. Jepp, Who Defied the Stars = "seeing stars," "lights out"
  • Code Name Verity vs. Titanic = plans vs. boats
  • Temple Grandin vs. The Fault in Our Stars = autism vs. cancer (Offensive? Yes. But...)

I'm going to stop there before I really get myself into trouble.

Needless to say, I'm pumped to start putting together my bracket and can't wait for the competition to get underway.

The LibrariYAn is an Amazon Associate. If you click from links on this blog to Amazon and buy something (anything!), I receive a small percentage of the purchase price.

No comments:

Post a Comment