Wednesday, March 13, 2013

SLJ BoB: Code Name Verity vs. Titanic

Another day, another face-off.

This time, it was Elizabeth Wein's historical spy suspense novel Code Name Verity against Deborah Hopkinson's gripping narrative nonfiction Titanic: Voices from the Disaster.  

Are these graphics awesome, or what?
I was kind of hoping that judge Margarita Engle would give her ruling in verse, but it was not to be.  She went for straightforward prose.  A disappointment.  Not disappointing, however, was her judgment of espionage over icebergs.  I was a bit worried when she started making gaga eyes at Titanic's photographs (which, yes, were totally awesome!) and talking all sweet about how she was rooting for a different ending than the tragedy we all knew was inevitable (I was too!).  But in the end, she made the right decision.  Code Name Verity moves on to Round 2!

But I would be remiss if I didn't honor Titanic for the wonderful book that it was.  So for you, Titanic, I offer up this little ditty by Celine Dion.  Know that you were and are loved.  Near...Far...Wherever you are...



Tomorrow's match puts Elliot Schrefer's National Book Award finalist Endangered up against Sheila Turnage's Newbery-honored Three Times Lucky.  With Kathi Appelt making the call, I'm inclined to guess the bonobo ape will come out on top.  I guess we'll have to wait and see.

The LibrariYAn is an Amazon Associate. If you click from links on this blog to Amazon and buy something (anything!), I receive a small percentage of the purchase price.

No comments:

Post a Comment