Friday, March 7, 2014

Summer Camp for Book Lovers

When I was a kid, summer camp meant day camp.  It meant playing kickball, knockout, "Around the World" basketball and four square.  It meant crafting with popsicle sticks, pipe cleaners, lanyard and tie dye. Occassionally, they'd set up the sprinkler and we'd cool off.  On even more rare occasions, we'd get ice pops.

Summer camp today looks a lot different.  There are specialty camps for almost everything you can think of: yoga, handicrafts, magic tricks, game design.  You name it; there's a camp for that.

Luckily, this also means that camps have evolved to appeal to book lovers!  In the fall of 2010 I first heard about Camp Half-Blood.  Okay, I'd heard of Camp Half-Blood before then from Rick Riordan's The Lightning Thief book series, but what I didn't know was that Book People, a bookstore in Austin, TX, had created a week-long day camp based on the books.  As soon as I heard about their camp, I started developing my own day camp for fans of The Hunger Games.

Just yesterday I learned that there also exists a Harry-Potter themed "Camp QuiddLit."  You talk about books AND play quidditch! Too bad they only offer sessions for people ages 8-17.  I'd totally register.

What will come next?  My 6th grade boys would probably love a Cherub camp. I can't keep those books on the shelves lately.

Are there other book-inspired camps out there that you know of?  What camp would you sign up for?

The LibrariYAn is an Amazon Associate. If you click from links on this blog to Amazon and buy something (anything!), I receive a small percentage of the purchase price.

No comments:

Post a Comment