Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Trailer Tuesday: Half Bad by Sally Green

I saw the author speak at the 2014 ALA Midwinter Best Fiction for Young Adults Teen Feedback Session (say that 10 times fast!) and all of the teens were given advance copies.  But me, I had to wait until my name came up on the holds list at the library.  Early feedback from teens and other YA librarians has been positive.  My hold *literally* just came in and I'm about to start reading away.  I've heard comparisons to Harry Potter.  The publisher is saying the writing is like Patrick Ness and Markus Zusak.  This is all good news for me.

Have you read it?  What do you think?

Half Bad (The Half Bad Trilogy) by Sally Green






From the publisher:

In modern-day England, witches live alongside humans: White witches, who are good; Black witches, who are evil; and sixteen-year-old Nathan, who is both. Nathan’s father is the world’s most powerful and cruel Black witch, and his mother is dead. He is hunted from all sides. Trapped in a cage, beaten and handcuffed, Nathan must escape before his seventeenth birthday, at which point he will receive three gifts from his father and come into his own as a witch—or else he will die. But how can Nathan find his father when his every action is tracked, when there is no one safe to trust—not even family, not even the girl he loves?

In the tradition of Patrick Ness and Markus Zusak, Half Bad is a gripping tale of alienation and the indomitable will to survive, a story that will grab hold of you and not let go until the very last page.

The LibrariYAn is an Amazon Associate. If you click from links on this blog to Amazon and buy something (anything!), I receive a small percentage of the purchase price.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Alicia! So...how far are you in to it? I'm about 3/4th, I have to take it in small doses. So...much...torture. Yikes. Sally Green does such an amazing job of making me like Nathan and root for him so it's incredibly hard to keep reading when nothing good ever happens. lol...

    ReplyDelete